If you want to fast-track your transfer to a four-year school to complete a bachelor’s degree, this program could be for you! The accelerated degree is currently offered only at the Norfolk and Portsmouth campuses.
Available programs include Associate of Science degrees in:
For information about these degrees and available course options email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits of the accelerated degree
- Earn an associate degree in just one year
- Save thousands by completing two years of college at TCC versus a four-year institution
- Receive personalized attention with low student-to-faculty ratios and regular academic advising
- Attain admission as a junior-level transfer student at most four-year colleges and universities*
- Begin your bachelor's program immediately upon completing your associate degree
* Refer to your transfer institution of choice for specific requirements
The program is open to new high school graduates as well as adult learners, including military-related students, who meet certain academic requirements:
- Virginia Placement Test (VPT): Placement into College Composition (ENG 111) and Quantitative Reasoning (MTH 154), or Precalculus (MTH161)
- SAT: Minimum scores of 480 in English/reading/writing and 530 in math, or
- ACT: Minimum scores of 18 in English/reading/writing and 22 in math
*Other criteria, like high school coursework or GPA, may also qualitfy
How to apply
- Apply for admission to TCC. The accelerated degree priority application deadline is May 31, 2019. The final application deadline is August 2, 2019.
- Demonstrate college readiness in math and English.
- Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Complete an interest form indicating whether daytime or evening/weekend courses work better for your lifestyle.
- Submit a 500-word essay about how an accelerated degree would help you achieve your educational and career goals. Send your document to email@example.com.
- Visit the Norfolk or Portsmouth campus Advising Office for a mandatory academic program interview.
- Attend a program-specific orientation, which is required upon acceptance into the program.
What does the program cost?
TCC’s accelerated degree costs less than the cost of one year at a four-year college or university.
Estimated Program Cost*
61 credits x $185.35 per credit = $11,306.35 (not including textbooks and supplies)
*Based on Fall 2018 in-state tuition. Your actual cost may differ.
The next accelerated degree program will begin August 19, 2019.
Students in the accelerated degree cohort generally will attend classes in 8-week sessions for an entire year, earning the required 61 credits within 12 months.
- Session I: August 19 - October 14, 2019
- Session II: October 16 – December 13, 2019
- Session III: January 13 – March 9, 2020
- Session IV: March 16 – May 8, 2020
- Session V: May 18 - July 17, 2020
*Please note that the schedule is subject to change
Accelerated degree program classes at the Norfolk Campus are held during the day, at night, and online. Classes at the Portsmouth Campus are offered at night, on weekends, and online. The accelerated degree in business administration is available 100% online and 100% as a z-degree program, meaning all classes have no textbook cost.
Contact our New Student Support team at 757-822-1111 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do our students say?
Meet Ariana Walker, who is on her way to completing a 2-year degree in just 1 year at Tidewater Community College.
“I can sincerely say that this program gave me the friendship of a lifetime, and for that I am truly grateful. These people are my greatest motivators and supporters. We may struggle together, but we also persevere together. We truly are all in this together.”
“I am a mother of 4 with a full-time job, and I don’t have the time to devote to a 2-year program. I need a degree to further my career and pay my bills. I especially like that on my budget, I am saving so much money with the Accelerated Program.”
– Beth Brosnahan
“The accelerated program has been going great and it has taught so much in such a short time. It has shown me that even under pressure, I can still come out on top. It has also helped to push me closer to my career goal of owning my own business.”
– Alaija Timmson