If you want to be on a fast track to transfer to a four-year school to complete a bachelor's degree, this program could be for you. It is currently offered only on the Norfolk and Portsmouth campuses.
The Associate of Science in General Studies will generally meet freshman and sophomore requirements at any public college or university in Virginia.
Benefits of the accelerated degree
- Earn an associate degree in just 1 year
- Save thousands by completing two years of college at TCC versus a 4-year institution
- Receive personalized attention with low student-to-faculty ratio and regular academic advising
- Attain admission as a junior-level transfer student at most 4-year colleges and universities*
- Begin your bachelor's program immediately upon completing your associate degree
* Refer to your transfer institution of choice for specific requirements
Who is eligible?
The program is open to new high school graduates as well as adult learners, including military-related students, who meet certain academic requirements:
- Virginia Placement Test (VPT): Placement into College Composition (English 111) and Quantitative Reasoning (Math 154), or
- SAT: Minimum scores of 480 in English/reading/writing and 530 in math, or
- ACT: Minimum scores of 18 in English/reading/writing and 22 in math
*Other multiple measures may qualify
How to apply
- Apply for admission to TCC
- Take the Virginia Placement Test (VPT), if required
- Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Submit a 500-word essay about how an accelerated degree would help you achieve your educational and career goals. Send documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit the Norfolk or Portsmouth campus Advising & Counseling department for a mandatory academic program interview.
- Attend a program-specific orientation, which will be scheduled upon your acceptance in the program.
What does the program cost?
TCC’s accelerated degree costs less than the cost of 1 year at a 4-year college or university.
Estimated Program Cost*
61 credits x $185.35 per credit = $11,306.35 (not including textbooks and supplies)
*Based on Fall 2018 in-state tuition. Your actual cost may differ.
The current accelerated degree program began August 20, 2018.
Students in the accelerated degree cohort will attend classes in 8-week sessions for an entire year, earning the required 61 credits within 12 months. Here is the 2018-2019 schedule as an example:
- Session I: August 20 - October 15, 2018
- Session II: October 17 – December 14, 2018
- Session III: January 14 – March 11, 2019
- Session IV: March 18 – May 11, 2019
- Session V: May 20 - July 18, 2019
*Please note that schedule is subject to change
Accelerated degree program classes on the Norfolk Campus are held during the day. Classes on the Portsmouth campus are offered at night, on weekends and online.
Contact our New Student Support team at 757-822-1111 or email@example.com.
What do our students say?
Meet Ariana Walker, who is on her way to completing a 2-year degree in just 1 year at Tidewater Community College.
“I’m enjoying the rigor very much. The program is helping me to reach my academic goals by being able to take the courses I need to become successful after college.”
– Lovely Jean de Guia
“I am a mother of 4 with a full-time job, and I don’t have the time to devote to a 2-year program. I need a degree to further my career and pay my bills. I especially like that on my budget, I am saving so much money with the Accelerated Program.”
– Beth Brosnahan
“The accelerated program has been going great and it has taught so much in such a short time. It has shown me that even under pressure, I can still come out on top. It has also helped to push me closer to my career goal of owning my own business.”
– Alaija Timmson