If you want to be on a fast track to transfer to a four-year school to complete a bachelor's degree, this program could be for you. It is currently offered only on the Norfolk Campus.
The Associate of Science in General Studies will generally meet freshman and sophomore requirements at any public college or university in Virginia.
Benefits of the accelerated degree
- Earn an associate degree in just 1 year
- Save thousands by completing two years of college at TCC versus a 4-year institution
- Receive personalized attention with low student-to-faculty ratio and regular academic advising
- Attain admission as a junior-level transfer student at most 4-year colleges and universities*
- Begin your bachelor's program immediately upon completing your associate degree
* Refer to your transfer institution of choice for specific requirements
Who is eligible?
The program is open to new high school graduates as well as adult learners, including military-related students, who meet certain academic requirements:
- Virginia Placement Test (VPT): Placement into College Composition (English 111) and Math for the Liberal Arts (Math 152), or
- SAT (old): Minimum scores of 500 in English/reading/writing and 520 in math, or
- SAT (new): Minimum score of 560 in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (ERW) and 550 in math, or
- ACT: Minimum scores of 18 in English/reading/writing and 22 in math
How to apply
2. Take the Virginia Placement Test (VPT), if required
3. Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
4. Submit the supplemental admission packet, which contains the following:
- Two letters of recommendation from a high school principal, guidance counselor or teacher; work supervisor; or personal mentor
- A 500-word essay about how an accelerated degree would help you achieve your educational and career goals
Send all documents to email@example.com
You will be required to attend a program-specific orientation, which will be scheduled upon your acceptance in the program
The next accelerated degree program is tentatively scheduled to begin in Summer 2017.
Students in the accelerated degree cohort attend classes in 11- and 12-week sessions for an entire year, earning the required 61 credits within 12 months. Here is the 2016-2017 schedule as an example:
Session I: July 5 - September 27, 2016
Session II: October 3 - December 21, 2016
Session III: January 3 - April 4, 2017
Session IV: April 10 - June 27, 2017
Courses are tentatively scheduled to meet Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., with at least one online course scheduled each session.
What do our students say?
Meet Ariana Walker, who is on her way to completing a 2-year degree in just 1 year at Tidewater Community College.
“I’m enjoying the rigor very much. The program is helping me to reach my academic goals by being able to take the courses I need to become successful after college.”
– Lovely Jean de Guia
“I am a mother of 4 with a full-time job, and I don’t have the time to devote to a 2-year program. I need a degree to further my career and pay my bills. I especially like that on my budget, I am saving so much money with the Accelerated Program.”
– Beth Brosnahan
“The accelerated program has been going great and it has taught so much in such a short time. It has shown me that even under pressure, I can still come out on top. It has also helped to push me closer to my career goal of owning my own business.”
– Alaija Timmson