Health Professions: Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA)
Criminal Background Check
- PTA students assigned to clinical facilities may be required to complete a background check.
- Cost: responsibility of student
There will be a criminal background check for all individuals applying for licensure to practice as a Physical Therapist Assistant in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and those with a felony conviction may not be issued a license. Each case is handled on an individual basis and the decision to allow licensure is made by the Virginia Board of Physical Therapy. Prospective students with concerns should call the Board at (804) 367-4674.
- Download CertifiedBackground instruction
- Vendor: Certified Background.com
- Health Professions students assigned to clinical
rotations or internships at some healthcare facilities are
- completing the required background checks or
- assuring that results are obtained by the healthcare
or medical facility that asks for them.
- It will be the decision of
clinical affiliate (healthcare or medical facility) whether
the student will be allowed to participate in the clinical
activities should there be positive criminal or sex offender
- Tidewater Community College does not assume any responsibility for obtaining or evaluating the results of a criminal background
check, drug screen or other check, maintaining the records
of results or for delivering them to clinical sites.
- Students may not request to be assigned only to those sites that do
not require such checks.
- Students who refuse to undergo a criminal
background check or drug screen or other required check may
not be able to be placed at another facility and consequently
may not be able to complete program requirements and graduate.
- TCC will make reasonable efforts to
place all enrolled students in clinical training.
- Students are also reminded that licensing boards for certain
health care occupations and professions may deny, suspend or
revoke a license or may deny the individual the opportunity
to sit for an examination if an applicant has a criminal history or is convicted or pleads guilty or nolo contendere to a felony
or other serious crime.
- Successful completion of a health professions
program of study at TCC does not guarantee licensure, the opportunity to sit for a licensure examination,
certification or employment in the relevant heath care occupation.
The vendor for criminal background checks is Certified Background.
1. Please complete the vendor information and make direct payment to the vendor.
The vendor will provide you with a passcode and a PDF file of the results.
2. It is your responsibility to provide your CBI results to
the agency requesting it within 24 hours after the first day
of classes (which is also the day of final notification of clinical
placement sites). To initiate completion of your CBI please contact
the selected vendor, provide the required data, sign the release
and provide payment to the vendor.
3. Please be sure to keep a hard copy of your own PDF file for
your personal records.
1. Go to www.certifiedbackground.com.
2. Click on "Students"
3. In the Package Code Box, enter ie60
4. You will see a page with information about our package and its contents,
Download CertifiedBackground instruction