as a Second Language
If English is not a student's native language, TCC requires the student to take
the English as a Second Language (ESL) placement test.
If the ESL placement test results indicate that the student needs ESL instruction, then he/she must successfully complete the required ESL courses before enrolling in academic courses.
TCC offers an
intensive ESL program consisting of four levels:
- Intermediate I
- Intermediate II
Students may be exempt from ESL placement testing if one of the following criteria has been met:
- Paper-based TOEFL (PBT) score of 587 or higher
- Computer-based TOEFL (CBT) score of 240 or higher
- Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) score of 95 or higher
- IELTS score of 7.0 or higher
- SAT scores in BOTH Critical Reading and Writing: 500 or higher, taken within the last two years
- ACT scores on BOTH the English and Reading sections: 18 or greater, taken within the last two years
- Possession of an American degree (associate, bachelor, master, Ph.D., or J.D.) or
the equivalent from an accredited institution located in a country where
English is the native language
- Successful completion* of one college-level English course at a
U.S. institution. This course must be equivalent to
TCC's College Composition I (ENG 111).
- Successful completion of TCC’s ESL
* Successful completion is defined as obtaining
a grade of C (2.0) or higher.