TCC Home Page             


Welcome CenterAcademicsWorkforce SolutionsNew StudentsCurrent StudentsFaculty and StaffDonorsCommunity
rollover the links above to activate the sub menus
Bb, Email, SIS
myTCC myTCC Library
Academic Divisions

Funeral SErvice Program

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I enter the Funeral Services Program at Tidewater Community College?

There are nine easy steps to enroll.  Visit any campus Enrollment Services Office for assistance or go to for more information.

  1. Determine eligibility for admission
  2. Obtain a TCC Application
  3. Return Application to any Enrollment Services Office in person or by mail.
  4. Apply for Financial Aid
  5. Determine Tuition Costs
  6. Take Assessment Tests
  7. Talk to a Counselor about Programs and Degrees
  8. Enroll in Classes
  9. Pay your tuition

Are there prerequisite courses for the Funeral Services Program?

Yes, new students are placed into the Pre-Funeral Service Program until they have satisfied the prerequisite courses.  The prerequisites are: 

    • CHM 110 - Survey of Chemistry
    • FNS 121 - Funeral Service Anatomy
    • ACC 211 - Principals of Accounting

Students must complete these courses having maintained a grade of "C" or better in the prerequisites and another courses taken in conjunction with the prerequisite courses.

  • Students must also must also be in "Good Standing" with the College (not on academic warning or probation).


Can I receive transfer credit for courses taken at other institutions?

Yes, as long as the courses were:

  • Taken at another regionally accredited institution
  • Taken less than five years from the enrollment date into the Pre-Funeral Services Program
  • If the grade earned is a "C" or better
  • Earned at another Funeral Service Program accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service if it is a funeral service specific course.

What are the requirements for licensure as a funeral director?

Licensure requirements vary by state, so it would be wise to investigate the requirements of the state in which you plan to practice.  However, most states require:

  • Completion of an accredited mortuary science program (
  • Successful completion of the National Board Exam (
  • An internship ranging from 1 - 2 years in length where you actually work for a funeral establishment
  • Successful completion of the state law exam for the state in which licensure is sought.


Are there scholarships available for the program?

Yes, There are several scholarships offered by various associations, and suppliers to the industry.  Take a look at the Scholarships/Jobs link on this site. Be advised, many if not all of the scholarships require the student to have completed a portion of the funeral service curriculum.

Do I have to be working in a funeral home to attend the program?

No, Virginia law allows a student to complete their Internship/Resident Training while in school, prior to school, and after graduating from school.  If you are a resident trainee from another state please consult your state board for specific information regarding employment and mortuary school attendance.

Do you offer placement services for students in the program or graduates?

Yes, ultimately gaining employment is the obligation of the student/graduate.  However we often are able to assist students with finding positions within firms.