FREQUENTLY Asked Questions: Study Abroad
What is studying abroad, and why should I consider it?
TCC offers various faculty-led programs each year. Specific programs are not always run every year, so if you're really interested in one, come talk to us about it! Study abroad is a unique, rewarding experience with many benefits:
- Develop skills that you never could develop in a traditional classroom setting.
- Immerse yourself in a foreign language.
- Set yourself apart from others as you transfer to a university or establish yourself in a career.
- Get a better understanding of the United States.
- Get a better understanding of yourself.
- Earn academic credits while engaging with another culture.
- Understand more about the values and traditions of another culture.
- Understand more about the values and traditions of your own culture.
- Make lasting connections with the people you meet while you are overseas.
- Have fun while engaging in a rare educational opportunity.
How should I get started in my researching of study abroad opportunities?
The International Programs Office offers Information Sessions for students interested in participating in study abroad. These are located on the Virginia Beach campus. Please check the IPO website for the Information Session schedule.
How can I afford study abroad?
Study abroad is more affordable than you might think. Please attend an Information Session for more information.
What about my safety concerns?
Every travel experience has its risks and considerations. If you are travelling outside of the United States, there are certainly risks to consider, many similar to those you would consider while travelling within the United States. Please see our Study Abroad Handbook for more information and useful websites on health and safety concerns.
For up to date information on travel warnings and tips for specific countries and areas, please see the US Department of State's International Travel website.Other safety concerns are welcomed for discussion with the International Programs Office staff and/or the program's faculty leader(s).
When should I apply? Are there deadlines or requirements?
The International Programs Office abides by strict deadlines. If you are interested in a faculty program, you must apply with the IPO before our set application deadline, or we have the right to reject your admission to the program. Please check the IPO website for updates on application deadlines. Eligibility requirements are outlined on the program applications, which are located at: http://www.tcc.edu/academics/programs/ipo/forms/index.htm.