Returning students

We're glad you're coming back to TCC

If you have been away for more than three years, you must reapply for admission and follow all the steps below.

If you have been away for less than three years, you are still considered a current student. You can log in to myTCC and register for classes. Follow the steps below to pay tuition, obtain a parking permit and get a replacement ID card, if needed.

headshot of smiling  woman
The TCC New Student Support Team is ready to help you
Contact us at 757-822-1111 or

Follow these steps

Apply for admission

If you haven't attended TCC in more than 3 years, you will need to re-apply using your previously assigned Student ID number.

Call the New Student Support Team at 757-822-1111 if you don't have your Student ID number. You'll need to provide your full name and the address you had when you were last a student.

Apply using the free online application. 

We recommend printing the application for your records.

Apply for financial aid

If you haven't already done so, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 

Be sure to list Tidewater Community College (TCC) as a school choice on your FAFSA. TCC’s school code is 003712.

Learn more about paying for TCC

Reactivate your TCC email account

Log in to myTCC to re-establish your student email account. You will receive updates on course changes and other pertinent information through your TCC email account. Check it frequently.

Have your previous college credits and experiences evaluated

Your non-TCC experiences and college credits can be evaluated by the Office of the College Registrar for applicable credit toward your degree or certificate.

Here's how to get started.

1. Be admitted to TCC if you have been away for more than 3 years.

2. Select a degree or certificate program.

3. Have your official transcripts* mailed to:

Tidewater Community College
Office of the College Registrar
P.O. Box 9000
Norfolk, VA 23509-9000

4. Submit a Request Transfer Evaluation.

Evaluations are curriculum-specific. If you change your major, a new evaluation will be necessary.

5. If you are not actively attending classes, visit the Transfer Evaluation System (TES) as a guide to which courses will transfer from your previous institutions.

*An official transcript must be in the sealed, original envelope from the issuing institution, with the appropriate college seal and authentication, and have a print date within the previous year.

Take placement tests if required

Some returning students must take the English and math placement tests before registering for classes. These are not admission tests. They evaluate your college readiness.

Whether or not you have studied English and mathematics recently, you will want to prepare in order to do your best.

Learn more about placement tests

Register for classes

After any transfer credits are evaluated and you have taken the placement tests, meet with an advisor who will help you choose an area of study.

Browse career pathways

Then, register for classes using the online class schedule.

Classes may be listed for more than one semester. Be sure you are searching the correct semester.

You can also find printed class schedules at our campuses and locations.

Computers are available for your use to check for class availability on all TCC campuses.

The academic calendar contains registration dates and deadlines.

Get your student ID card

Your student ID card is a wonderful resource that allows you access to student services and events and provides discounts with numerous local merchants.

You can also elect to participate in our StormDollars plan, which allows you to go cashless when you make purchases and print documents on campus. Simply swipe and go!

You are eligible for your ID card after you register for classes. Bring a photo ID and your Student ID number to any of the campus ID offices.

The fee for replacement cards is $10.

Find a campus ID Card office

Pay your tuition

Pay your tuition and fees by the deadline specified in the academic calendar.

It is your responsibility to check your account in the Student Information System's (SIS) Student Center to make sure any financial aid has been applied and to pay the remaining balance.

Learn more about payment methods

Buy your textbooks and supplies

Print your class schedule and take it to the Barnes & Noble bookstore at your preferred campus to purchase textbooks. Your financial aid may be applied.

You can also buy your textbooks online. Rentals and digital materials are available.

Get your parking permit or HRT pass

Parking decals and semester validation stickers for the Chesapeake, Portsmouth and Virginia Beach campuses are provided to students who have registered and paid for their classes.

To receive your free parking decal or the semester validation sticker, bring:

  • a valid driver's license
  • your Student ID number

to the business office (on the Chesapeake or Portsmouth campuses) or to the ID office (on the Virginia Beach campus).

Parking decals should be placed on the left rear bumper of the vehicle or the rear window, lower corner on the driver side.

Students taking classes on the Norfolk Campus are required to purchase a City of Norfolk parking pass. Visit the Norfolk Campus parking page for details.

TCC students are eligible for reduced-cost public transportation on Hampton Roads Transit, including light rail, buses and ferries. 

Sign up for TCC Alerts!

TCC Alerts is a free service that immediately contacts you during situations that affect college operations.

TCC Alerts delivers important emergency alerts, notifications and updates to you via email and all handheld devices. Parents and family members can sign up, too!

TCC Alerts is your personal connection to real-time updates, instructions on where to go, what to do, or what not to do, who to contact and other important information.

Sign up here

Admission Offices

Regular office hours are:
Monday and Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.


Pass Building, Room 175
1428 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, VA 23322

Phone: 757-822-5021


Andrews Building
315 Granby St.
Norfolk, VA 23510

Phone: 757-822-1204


Building A, Room A130
120 Campus Drive
Portsmouth, VA 23701

Phone: 757-822-2193

Virginia Beach

Building B (Bayside), Room B119
1700 College Crescent
Virginia Beach, VA 23453

Phone: 757-822-7172

Looking for help?

Send us your questions
* All fields are mandatory