Transfer Credits

The Office of the College Registrar is responsible for evaluating credits earned from other educational institutions. To request an evaluation, please follow the instructions provided below. Visit the International Transcripts page for more information regarding the evaluation of foreign credentials.

Process for Requesting an Evaluation of Transfer Credits

  1. Apply and gain admission to TCC
  2. With assistance from a counselor, be placed in a curriculum.
  3. Enroll in class(es)
    (A student must be enrolled in at least one TCC course after the last day to drop for a tuition refund before transcripts from another college or university will be evaluated)
  4. Have your official transcripts* mailed to:
    Tidewater Community College
    Office of the College Registrar
    P.O. Box 9000
    Norfolk, VA 23509-9000

    NOTE: If you intend to transfer coursework from another community college within the Virginia Community College System (VCCS), you do not need to submit these transcripts for our review.  However, you do need to insure that all other processes have been followed, as outlined in this section. Please be sure to note on the form (described below) that you wish for this coursework to be reviewed. Note also that coursework taken from another college within the VCCS must meet all other policies for transfer credit (e.g., grade of "C" or higher).
  5. Using the online form, submit a Request for Evaluation of Educational Experience form to the Office of the College Registrar.
  6. Students meeting the above criteria may expect an evaluation to take place approximately 4 to 6 weeks following receipt of the transcript(s) and the Evaluation of Previous Educational Experiences form. Notification of the evaluation will be sent to the student at the address of record located in the Student Information System (SIS).

*Official transcripts - Transcripts from a college stamped with appropriate college seal and authentication. The college WILL NOT accept hand-carried transcripts for evaluation.

Posting of Transfer Credits to an Academic Record

An evaluation can be expected within 4 to 6 weeks for students meeting all criteria, as described more fully above. Evaluations at TCC are curriculum-specific.  This means that you will be given transfer credit for classes that are applicable to your selected program of study. If you change your curriculum and believe that a new evaluation is necessary, you must complete a new request form specifying the modified program plan. 

NOTE: Credits previously placed on an academic record cannot be deleted, even if those credits are no longer applicable to your selected curriculum since they become a part of your permanent record. Further, grades earned in courses taken elsewhere are not used in the calculation of a student's TCC grade point average (GPA). 

Students will not receive credit for courses in which a grade lower than a "C" is earned. Grades of "S", "P" and the like will not receive transfer credit unless the transcript legend or other official documentation indicates that this form of grade is equivalent to a "C" or higher. 

Upon completion of the evaluation, transfer credit will officially post for students who are in active attendance at TCC. Students in active attendance may view the awarding of credit in SIS.

Students who are not actively attending classes may visit the Transfer Evaluation System (TES) to determine what courses will transfer from your previous institutions. The results of the TES system will not officially apply to the academic record until the student is in active attendance at TCC, has completed the request form, and has provided an official transcript. For affected students, a counselor will be able to view the transfer evaluation system to assist you in the course advisement process.

Acceptance of Transfer Credits from Other Colleges

Unfortunately, there often isn’t a fast, easy answer regarding the transfer of credit from another college or university because it is dependent on many factors—particularly a school’s accreditation status. There are, however, some considerations that we employ when rendering a decision. These include:

  1. Course work may be accepted for transfer credit if taken at an institution that is accredited by a regional or national accrediting agency, if it has previously been determined to be equivalent to course work offered here at TCC, and if it is applicable to a student’s selected program plan. A listing of regional and national accrediting agencies is available at the U.S. Department of Education's (DOE) website.
  2. Awarding of transfer credit will be considered for other institutions that are accredited by agencies recognized by DOE. This can be determined by typing in the name of the school at the DOE's website:

    For consideration of course work from these schools, the Office of the College Registrar requests the student to submit an official transcript, official course descriptions and/or syllabi. These documents are then forwarded by the Office of the College Registrar the appropriate dean to determine if the course work will be accepted as transfer credit at TCC. Bear in mind that only courses applicable to the student’s selected program plan will be given consideration.
  3. Individuals with questions regarding the acceptance of transfer credit and/or an institution's accreditation status are encouraged to e-mail the Office of the College Registrar at

Process for Appealing a Transfer Credit Evaluation

If you question your transfer evaluation, please contact the Office of the College Registrar via e-mail at and request that an evaluator review your record again to insure that a mistake has not been made. If you are not satisfied with the response received by the evaluator, the College has a three-level appeals process for students wishing to officially appeal their evaluation of transfer credit. To initiate an appeal, students should direct a letter along with supporting documentation to the academic dean whose division offers the course within 15 business days of the official notification of transcript evaluation results from the Office of the College Registrar. If the first-level appeal is denied, the academic dean will respond to the student in writing with a description of how a student can make a second-level appeal.

Evaluation of International Transcripts

International transcripts must be evaluated by a recognized private educational evaluating agency before Tidewater Community College can accept international credits for transfer. The fee for this service and the time required for completion of the evaluation varies with each agency. Please follow the instructions on the International Transcripts page.

Evaluation of Military Transcripts

Army, Coast Guard, Marines and Navy

Tidewater Community College receives official Joint Services Transcripts (JST) electronically from the DoD Joint Services Transcript System.  The JST is used by the Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard.  Requests received by the JST System are processed and sent electronically to TCC within one business day. To request this transcript, please do the following:

  1. Complete a JST request available at this website:
  2. Submit the online Request for Evaluation of Educational Experience form and submit it to our office electronically.

    NOTE: The JST is issued for Army (Including National Guard), Coast Guard, Marine Corps, & Navy Personnel.
  3. Complete and submit the online application for a SOC Student Agreement (Excluding Air Force, Air National Guard, Veterans, and spouses and dependents of these individuals).

Air Force
Air Force members should request an official Community College of the Air Force/Air University transcript from the following web site: then complete the TCC online Request for Evaluation of Educational Experience form and submit electronically to the Office of the College Registrar Office.

Additional questions or concerns regarding the evaluation of military transcripts should be directed via email to or by telephone at (757) 822-1900. Our Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges and Center for Military and Veterans Education (CMVE) websites may also be helpful.