TCC Home Page             


Welcome CenterAcademicsWorkforce SolutionsNew StudentsCurrent StudentsFaculty and StaffDonorsCommunity
rollover the links above to activate the sub menus
Bb, Email, SIS
myTCC myTCC Library

CMVE @ TCC: paying for college > VA benefits



Your Veterans Benefits are plentiful and were designed to give you the ability to go to college in some cases with no out-of-pocket costs. 

On August 28, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) launched an improved version of the GI Bill® Comparison Tool. The updated version of the GI Bill Comparison Tool has new functionality, including a more robust GI Bill benefits calculator and additional information pertinent to the Veteran population such as which schools have student Veteran groups, VetSuccess on Campus programs and those that have agreed to the 8 Keys to Success.
Visit the website now.

Please choose from the following list of GI-Bill Chapters for a brief overview: 

Effective Pay Rates by Chapter

Once you have determined the appropriate GI Bill Chapter for you:

  1. Apply for your benefits directly with the VA
  2. Apply for admissions to TCC
  3. See a TCC VA counselor. You MUST visit a VA office and process in with a TCC VA counselor to begin using your benefits for classes. Find a counselor at any of our four campuses here. Counselors do not take appointments, students are seen on a first-come-first-served basis.

If you have any questions - we are here to help! Contact us for more information!

Montgomery G. I. Bill (Chapter 30)

Establishes a program of education benefits for essentially two groups or categories of individuals based on their active duty service. Individuals entering military service on or after July 1, 1985, who have had their basic military pay reduced by $100 a month for the first 12 months of their service and received a discharge specifically listed as "HONORABLE" are eligible. Individuals eligible for the Old GI Bill (Chapter 34) as of December 31, 1989, who meet certain eligibility requirements and persons separated from active duty due to a service-connected disability or hardship discharge may also be eligible. Participants must have received their high school diploma or GED before or during the qualifying period. In most cases, eligibility expires 10 years after last discharge or release from active duty.
Apply Now
Back to Top

Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Chapter 31)
A veteran of World War II or thereafter who has a service-connected disability which entitles him/her to DVA disability compensation and who is in need of vocational rehabilitation because the disability creates an unemployable handicap may be eligible for Chapter 31 benefits. Professional counselors from the Dept of Veterans Affairs will help you plan an individual program which includes the services and financial assistance needed to carry out the program.
Apply Now

Back to Top

Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You MUST have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, vocational/technical training, on-the-job training, correspondence training, licensing and national testing programs, entrepreneurship training, and tutorial assistance. All training programs must be approved for GI Bill benefits.

This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. The Post-9/11 GI Bill also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their GI Bill to dependents.

Some of the benefits the Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay include:

  • Your full tuition & fees dependent on your eligibility tier
  • A monthly housing allowance (MHA)
  • An annual books & supplies stipend

Apply Now

Back to Top

Montgomery G. I. Bill Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1606)
Individuals who have agreed to serve six years in the selected reserve, on or after July 1, 1985, reenlisted or extended an enlistment for a period of at least six years may be eligible. You must have completed the initial active duty for training (IADT) and meet the requirements to receive a high school diploma or equivalent certificate before you complete the IADT.
Apply Now
Back to Top

Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP) (Chapter 1607)

REAP (Chapter 1607 of title 10, U.S. Code) is a new education program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready reserve (IRR), and National Guard, who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress. Eligibility will be determined by the Department of Defense (DOD) or Department of Homeland Security (DHS), as appropriate. Generally, a member of a Reserve component who serves on active duty on or after September, 11 2001 under title 10, U.S. Code, for at least 90 consecutive days under a contingency operation, is eligible for REAP. There is no specific timeframe to use REAP, however, your eligibility generally ends when you leave the Selected Reserves. National Guard members are eligible if their active service extends for 90 consecutive days or more and their service is:

  • authorized under section 502(f), title 32, U.S. Code,
  • authorized by the President or Secretary of Defense for a national emergency, and supported by federal funds

The educational assistance allowance payable under REAP is a percentage of the Montgomery G. I. Bill-Active Duty (MGIB) rate based on the number of the continuous days served on active duty. Persons released before 90 days due to an injury, illness, or disease incurred or aggravated in the line of duty receive the 40% rate.

Members who serve 90 days but less than 1 year will receive 40% of the MGIB 3 year rate.
Members who serve 1 year but less than 2 years will receive 60% of the MGIB 3 year rate.
Members who serve 2 or more continuous years will receive 80% of the MGIB 3 year rate.
Once you find a program approved for VA training, complete VA form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits, and send it to the VA regional office that serves that state where you will train. Indicate on the form you are applying for REAP.
Apply Now



Back to Top