cmve@TCC: Prior CreditS > SOC: Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges
Tidewater Community College is a longstanding member of the
Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Degree Network System.
SOC Degree Network System
As a member of the SOC Degree Network System,TCC:
- was invited by the military to offer specific degrees
- offers many courses pre-approved for transfer
- grants SOC Student Agreements
SOC Student Agreements
By completing just 25% of your degree program with TCC (roughly 5 courses in a 60 credit hour associate degree program), a SOC Student Agreement helps ensure that you can finish your degree program with TCC, regardless of your location. If you must move before finishing your degree program, you can take your remaining course requirements online with TCC or at other schools and transfer these credits back to us for degree completion.
TCC offers SOC Student Agreements to the following military-related students enrolled in any associate level TCC degree program:
- active-duty military students (except Air Force)
- drilling reservists
- certain DOD Contractors
- Eliminates the need to transfer schools and potentially lose credit
- Easily identify courses that will transfer back to your degree
- Maximize transfer credit for military experience and other non-traditional sources of credit – CLEP, DANTES, etc.
Pre-approved SOC courses
Through the SOC Degree Network System, TCC has pre-approved many courses from other colleges for transfer into our degree programs. Visit the SOC website for a list of TCC courses with pre-approved transfer agreements.
- Apply to Tidewater Community College and enroll in classes.
- Complete the online application for a SOC Student Agreement.
- Request your official military transcripts.
- Have military transcripts and transcripts from any other college level courses or tests (CLEP, DANTES, etc.) you have completed sent to the following address:
Tidewater Community College
Office of the College Registrar
Post Office Box 9000
Norfolk, VA 23509-9000
- After your JST is officially evaluated by Office of the College Registrar, your official SOC Student Agreement will be processed and sent to you by mail.
For more information about SOC and how it can work for you, contact:
Director, Military Academic Programs
Center for Military and Veterans Education