Early childhood years are precious and once in a lifetime!
The Child Development Lab is located in the Lynnhaven building on the Virginia Beach campus. This premier high quality half-day preschool program for children ages 3 – 5 years old offers a small group environment for early learning in a unique college setting. The dynamic curriculum and carefully planned environment complements the early childhood division to invite exploration, discovery and investigation by the children. Through hands on play-based activities in cheerful interest centers children and staff interact to expand learning in concept development.
The Child Development Lab operates on the following principles which are key elements of developmentally appropriate practice:
- Children are unique with individual personalities, learning styles, strengths, needs, interests and family backgrounds. The educational program must be inclusive, open minded, flexible and relationship based.
- Children’s social and emotional development is critical to a child’s success and develops simultaneously with language, cognitive and physical development. This requires planning of activities that support the “whole child” not just academic preparation or school readiness but success in life.
- Children “learn by doing” and “play” is the work of a child. This means children need many hands-on, concrete experiences with materials as well as the time to discover and explore.
- Children gain new knowledge when experiences are meaningful and relevant. They relate new information to previous knowledge and make associations while increasing understanding.
- Children are naturally curious about their world around them. However, adults must present topics, materials and environments in a manner that promotes wonder and discovery through guidance and support.
- Families are important to the success of the program and their children’s development and view of learning. Through family involvement programs and regular communication families support growth and learning.
The small group size and adult child ratio allows children to participate fully in the interactive learning centers while building skills that will last a lifetime. Register today and introduce your child to our premier high quality program that builds a solid foundation for success in school and in life.
Schedule a tour and learn more about the Child Development Lab.
757-822-7282 ¨ Childdevelopmentlab@tcc.edu ¨ www.tcc.edu/childlab
TBA, Director & Lab Manager