JOB HUNTING ON THE INTERNET
Resource Guide for Job Hunting on the Internet
1. Use a professional sounding e-mail address: When job hunting, every detail is important. Don't forget your e-mail address, which is the first impression that the potential employer received. You don't want to use an address that is adolescent or silly such as "hotdog, mscool, or beach babe." Also check the outgoing message on your land-line and cell phones. The message should be concise and professional.
2. Scan the oldies but goodies. When visiting job boards, many job hunters make the mistake of limiting their search to positions posted in the last few days. A position posted one month ago might still be open, especially if it requires hard-to-find skills. Plus, with most job seekers focusing on recent postings, you may be competing with fewer candidates. A dated job advertisement doesn't reflect the quality of the company or the potential desirability of the position.
3. Visit recruiter sites. In addition to browsing the large boards, visit the Web sites of recruiting firms that specialize in your field, which maintain their own job postings. Some even offer detailed career information and job search advice. The advantage of these sites is that job seekers can conduct highly targeted searches and also connect with a recruiter who can work on their behalf.
4. Go surfing. Job sites offer more than just listings. They also can serve as a launching pad for other opportunities. For instance, you may find an appealing job posting for which you are overqualified. Though you're not right for this role, you now know the company is hiring. Visit the prospective employer's web site to see if there are any additional openings. Send a resume and cover letter to the company expressing your desire to be considered for future jobs.
5. Get social. Networking is one of the most effective ways of locating new opportunities, and the Internet makes it easier than ever to expand your web of contacts. Social networking sites such as LinkedIn.com provide "virtual" opportunities to connect with other professionals -- in your area or halfway across the world. Participating in chat rooms and discussion forums, such as those hosted by professional associations in your field or industry, also is an excellent way to find about open positions.
6. Don't blast away. Most job sites enable users to apply for a position with the simple click of the mouse. But don't blindly blast your resume to every company you come across. Hiring managers seek tailored resumes that directly tie a job seeker's unique skills and abilities to the requirements of the position. Take the extra time and effort to customize your application materials to each specific opportunity.
7. Proofread, please. Completing employment applications online is convenient but potentially costly if you're not careful. Be mindful of your spelling and grammar when typing information directly onto online forms. Typos are no less problematic on screen than on paper. Use spell check, better yet, read your cover letter or resume out loud to make sure you are not forgetting any words or making grammatical errors. If you have a friend who is good with spelling and grammar, enlist him or her to help proofread your document. You don't want to lose the chance at an interview over a mistake that could have been caught.
8. Apply for jobs at your home computer, not at the workplace. There's a time and a place for everything. With that old adage in mind, be careful of when and where you do your online job hunting. Using your company's computer and Internet connection to look for a new position is a bad idea. Employers have the right to monitor the sites you visit and the e-mails you send. So, resist the temptation to hunt for a new job at the office if you want to keep the one you have for the time being.
9. Follow up! When job hunting online, it's critical that you follow up with prospective employers after applying for a position. More than a few resumes have gotten lost in cyberspace. If you've submitted your application and haven't heard back from the company, make a call or send an e-mail to verify that the resume was received and to reassert your interest in the position. Don't worry; you're not going to annoy the employer. While the Internet has revolutionized the way job seekers connect with prospective employers, an online job hunt shouldn't be the only strategy you use to find a new position.
Features: Accounting & finance articles, custom job board, salaries built with web table technology for sorting, and a special News section that gives job seekers the areas across the United States that are looking for employment where financial service industry jobs are in demand. Find the best accounting & finance jobs across the entire United States. At GAAPJobs, we guarantee you will have FREE access to the most exclusive job postings available on the market!
Search Accounting Jobs: www.searchaccountingjobs.com
With a free registration you can search accounting jobs, submit your resume, apply for job opportunities and contact local recruiters. View hundreds of accounting jobs across the country. Job seekers can create a free account, upload a resume, search and apply online to jobs, directly contact top accounting recruiters working in their specialty, geographic location and much more.
Advanced Technology Jobs
Virginia Manufacturing Association: www.advancedtechnologyjobs.com
You can access Advanced Technology jobs from your mobile device.
Active Duty, Veterans, & Military Spouses
Schneider National, Inc.: http://www.military.com/jobs-in/employer/schneider/?ESRC=mr0217.nl
Schneider National’s commitment to hiring military personnel stems back to founder Al Schneider. The longtime National Guardsman knew his fellow service men and women were the kind of people he wanted to hire. Military personnel are hard workers and natural leaders — making for valuable employees.
Complete Military-To-Civilian Transition Support
Job Leads: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B2v4m2eblV79LVZhRGpQSE9UcE0/edit?pli=1
Jobs that are provided to Military Fleet and Family Support for publish.
Continuing Education Resources For Veterans: http://www.accreditedonlinecolleges.org/resources/veteran-continuing-ed
This is a web resource rich with educational material for veterans interested in using GI Bill money as a means to pay for their education.
Child Care Industry
Search job sites, company career pages and associations for daycare jobs.
Careers in Child Care: www.careersinchildcare.com
Search for Full-time, Part-time and Seasonal employment opportunities in Child Care Centers, Preschools, After School Programs, Day and Summer Camp Programs all over Virginia and now nationwide.
City Employment Information - Local
City of Chesapeake: http://www.cityofchesapeake.net/
City of Hampton: www.hampton.va.us
City of Newport News: http://www.nngov.com/
City of Norfolk: http://www.norfolk.gov/
City of Portsmouth: www.portsmouth.va.us
City of Suffolk: www.suffolk.va.us
City of Virginia Beach: www.vbgov.com/careers
College/University Human Resources Offices - Local
Norfolk State University: www.nsu.edu/jobs
Old Dominion University: http://www.odu.edu/humanresources
Tidewater Community College: https://jobs.tcc.edu/
Virginia Wesleyan College: http://www.vwc.edu/hr/positions.php
Virginia State Application Form via Internet: http://jobs.virginia.gov/emplapplication.html
Federal Employment Agencies
Central Intelligence Agency (CIA): https://www.cia.gov/index.html
Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI): www.fbi.gov
Navy Exchange Service Command (NEXCOM): http://www.mynavyexchange.com/
Office of Personnel Management: http://www.opm.gov/
U.S. Customs Service: http://www.cbp.gov/
Federal Government Application (OF-612): http://federalgovernmentjobs.us/forms/of612.pdf
Bon Secours DePaul Medical Center: www.bonsecourshamptonroads.com
Bon Secours Maryview Medical Center: www.bonsecourshamptonroads.com
Chesapeake General Hospital: http://www.chesapeakeregional.com/i-want-to/apply-for-a-job
Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters: www.chkd.org
Eastern Virginia Medical School: www.evms.edu
Sentara Healthcare Employment Center: www.sentara.com
Hospital Jobs, Inc.: www.hospitaljobsinc.com
This site has some of the most cutting edge healthcare resources available on the web. For employers, post your job on our premium job board that connects postings with thousands of qualified candidates. Healthcare remains the strongest industry in the U.S. workforce. Therefore, it is imperative to recruit the best candidates to ensure your facility can offer the best patient care in your region. For job seekers, test drive our job board to find the best hospital jobs such as medical assistant, nursing, cna, lpn, physician, and more!
MedWorking.com is the web's leading job board for physician, allied health & nursing jobs. Our site is tailored specifically for posting job opportunities and positions in every medical specialty.
Therapy Jobs 360: http://www.therapyjobs360.com
Therapy Jobs 360, the brand new website dedicated to physical, occupational, and speech therapy jobs, today announced the company will partner with colleges and universities across the country to work together to help students and alumni find jobs in the therapy industry.
HospitalityManagementSchools.org focuses on explaining the relation between hospitality, the tourists and the service industry. The idea of hospitality originated centuries ago, where travelers from afar would be offered protection from the wild and comfy lodgings in cities such as Sparta. Of course in those ages, the individuals who were given these services were nobles such as diplomats and philosophers, but luckily the idea of providing amenities to guests now is the foundation of the tour and service industry. What makes a hospitality manager different from a traditional manager lies in the fact their customers are more than consumers but also guests. Because guest psychology and traditional management intertwine throughout the service industry, hospitality management is a unique career for those interested in service and accommodation.
A job posting board and networking site for the restaurant and hospitality industry.
Rent to Own Properties: www.rentown.net
RentOwn.net has thousands of rent to own houses across the country that are available now. We'll help you find the perfect home – no matter what your budget or needs are
Helping you find a home! We search hundreds of websites so you don't have to. Each city on the website is broken down into neighborhoods, highlighting pricing, noise level, nearby attractions, restaurants, shopping, etc. 1.8 million listings nationwide!
We are a nationwide real estate search engine that provides detailed graphical neighborhood data so you can view available properties (houses and apartments), commute times, affordability, crime reports, hazard maps, amenities (provide by Yelp) . . . all in one spot. Trulia is a free to the college, free to the students, and we do not require a login. Note: We receive no benefit if consumers find a property or local professional on our site. Our data is meant to be purely educational. We are predominantly backed by local real estate brokerages, which is how we are able to provide all of our content for at no cost!
Virginia Association of Insurance Agents/Independent Insurance Agents of VA: www.iiav.com
Features a Career Opportunity Board that features internships and entry level positions in the insurance industry. Postings are from all over the state.
Internship Database: www.internzoo.com
Free internship database website for college students.
Job Boards for People Over 50
Job Prep Information
Ready Prep Interview: www.readyprepinterview.com
A free site with thousands of job interview questions that are position specific. The behavioral job interview questions on Ready Prep Interview are based on the qualities and skills required to do the job. The questions are even sorted by how important the qualities and skills are. We have questions for hundreds of positions and are adding new positions regularly.
Daily Press: Hampton Roads Daily Press: www.dailypress.com
Hampton Roads Employment Weekly: www.hrew.com
The Virginian-Pilot: www.pilotonline.com
Clear Channel Radio: http://clearcareers.clearchannel.com
Entercom Norfolk: www.entercom.com
Hampton Roads Radio Group: http://hamptonroads.vartv.com
Job Search Sites and Resume Banks
Tidewater Community College/JobNet: www.tcc.edu/students/career/ses/viewjobbankandevents.htm
JobNet provides job
opportunities and employer recruitment events (on and off campus) to students
We are a free online resource helping people find specific information and advice on how to apply online and offline to major companies in the U.S. We don't require any personal information to use our resources. We're also a proud member of the International Association of Employment Websites.
ZipRecruiter posts your jobs to 100+ of the most visited job boards, websites and social networks on the Internet. Our proprietary technology analyzes your jobs in real-time to maximize your placement across all of our job board distribution partners. No other software or service can provide you with the same level of per-job-level optimization and candidate traffic that ZipRecruiter provides, with pricing plans that fit every size business.
Search for jobs from over 20,000 job sites, newspapers, and company career pages.
Hampton Roads’ most comprehensive on-line employment source. Offers useful tips on preparing for your next interview, plus information about prospective employers. You can also enter your resume into the resume database so that employers can find you.
Employment Guide: www.employmentguide.com
Features professional, technical and management jobs. Post your resume and utilize the “Job Search” service.
Resume builder and job search site.
Hot Jobs: www.hotjobs.com
Search through thousands of jobs and hundreds of top companies around the U.S. and the world. Create your resume on-line and apply to any job by entering your e-mail address and optional password.
Monster Board: www.monster.com
Features employer profiles, resume builders and free access to more than 50,000 jobs.
MSN Career Builder: www.careerbuilder.com
One of the nation’s largest employment network – find jobs locally or nationally! Post a resume and let employers find you! Set Up
Job Alerts – receive job matches via email.
In one search, Indeed gives students free and instant access to millions of jobs and internships from thousands of job boards, newspaper classifieds and company websites.
College Central Network: www.collegecentral.com
With CollegeCentral.com, there are more jobs than ever to choose from. We not receive daily entry-level job feeds from nearly 150 newspapers, including 32 of the 100 largest newspapers in the country - USA Today, Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, New York Newsday, Arizona Republic, Detroit Free Press, Miami Herald, Sacramento Bee, Baltimore Sun, Orlando Sentinel, Kansas City Star, Indianapolis Star, and many more, with over 95,000 entry-level jobs currently available, what are you waiting for?
Getting Hired: www.gettinghired.com/edu
Careers and Community for People with Disabilities: This online network gives you access to thousands of others who face the same challenges as you, including established, successful professionals who are ready to mentor and give practical insights and advice. More importantly, GettingHired.com is the only online, national job portal providing career opportunities from enlightened employers who are committed to hiring people with disabilities. The Buzz: Disability Job News & Articles - A Part of Getting Hired http://media.gettinghired.com/ghnewsletter/april/web/newsletter.html?utm_source=newsletter0409&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=media0409
Neuvoo is a job search engine that indexes jobs directly for free from companies' career websites, placement agencies and job boards. We centralize all jobs available on the web to help people find new career opportunities, so we are much like the Google for jobs. Neuvoo offers over 2 million jobs in the US, of which 51,000 in Virginia. The list of jobs is constantly being updated and growing, as we are a job
aggregator. Job seekers can search using a city, company, industry, etc., and find all relevant jobs. Of course, this is a free site for all users with no required membership.
A free online resource helping people find specific information and advice on how to apply online and offline to major companies in the U.S. We don't require any information or any signs up. We're also a proud member of the International Association of Employment Websites.
Juju'a goal is to make job search easier. This job search engine provides access to jobs found on thousands of employer web sites and job boards all around the web and offers features that will help you find the job you're looking for more efficiently.
With our builder, users can create a resume using step-by-step instructions, choose a professional design for their resume and download it in PDF or MS Word format with a single click. Completely free for users around the U.S.!
This is a free service where resumes can be uploaded at no cost to the recruiters or professionals. Students can go to eresumex.com register and upload their resumes. Once they have created a profile, recruiters will have access to view their resumes and find employment for them.
Job Application Guide: www.jobapplicationguide.com
For students, navigating a career search, or even filling out an online job application form, can be a new and daunting task. With competition for job applications increasing and job search resources becoming more and more sophisticated, it can seem like finding anyjob, not your idealjob, becomes the goal. JobApplicationGuide.com was created to help students solve this dilemma. We have brought together a team with over 35 years of experience helping students find the jobs and careers they really want. Our motto is simple: organization, information and preparation. We want to give you the fastest, most direct, and sensible ways to find the job you want. Without you having to settle” for a job that just “pays the bills.
This is a free online resource helping people find specific information and advice on how to apply online and offline to major companies in the U.S. We don't require any personal information, or associated fees to use our resource.
Nerd Wallet: http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/2013/best-places-virginia-job-seekers
Best Places in Virginia for Job Seekers
Search for millions of jobs around the web. If you'd like to link straight to jobs or career opportunities in Virginia Beach or its surrounding areas (Norfolk, Chesapeake, etc.): http://jobs.ziprecruiter.com/?search=&days=&location=Virginia+Beach&radius=25
Retail Employment Opportunities: www.retailjobs.org
RetailJobs.org is a job search engine that finds job listings from company career pages, other job boards, newspapers and associations. With one search, we help you find the job with your name on it.
Judicial Branch Recruitment Register: http://www.courts.state.va.us/courtadmin/aoc/hr/jbrr/home.html
View current vacancies in the Judicial Branch offices of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
WTKR-TV (Channel 3): www.wtkr.com
WAVY-TV (Channel 10): www.wavy.com
WSET-TV (Channel 13): www.wset.com
WHRO-TV (Channel 15): www.whro.org
CW27/WGNT-TV (Channel 27): www.cw27.com
MYVZ/WTVZ-TV (Channel 33): www.wtvz33.com
WVBT (Fox Channel 43): http://fox43tv.com/
Exclusively for the skilled trades work in a building, manufacturing, automotive, or other skilled trades! A free community where workers in the trades can show off what they're great at, connect with jobs and coworkers, find tools and equipment, display licenses, and more.
Salary Info: www.500paths.com
Real-life insights on salary and everything else on every career.
CareerBliss empowers you to choose happy with company reviews and ratings, salary info and jobs.
Salary Information: www.salarysite.com
An on-stop resource: students looking for salary information to help them choose a career or career location. The site provides average salary information, which cities and states pay the most and least in each career, how salaries have grown, and what the future prognosis is for salaries in each career. We also offer a free cost of living calculator, as well as salary negotiation and planning techniques. Free to use.
Welcome to HealthcareWages.org. We’re here to provide you with the most up-to-date salary data on many of the most popular healthcare careers. You’ll find detailed healthcare salary information on jobs by industries, states, and cities.
For additional information, contact the Career and Employment Services , Tidewater Community College, Virginia Beach Campus, 1700 College Crescent, Princess Anne Building, Room A-105, Virginia Beach, VA 23453. Office number, (757) 822-7228. Email Babi Brock at email@example.com.