DEvelopment - SELF ASSESSMENT
sTEP i: sELF aSSESSMENT The most important step in the career decision making process is learning more about yourself, including your values, personality, interests and skills. Following is a list of resources to assist you in answering this question.
FREE ASSESSMENT TESTS FOR REGISTERED TCC STUDENTS
- DISCOVER Career Planning - DISCOVER's comprehensive, developmental guidance process helps users identify their strengths and needs, make good career decisions, and build a plan based on their personal profiles. Please see a Counselor to schedule your test.
- Self-Directed Search (SDS) - by Dr. John Holland - Taking the Self-Directed Search will determine your 3-letter Holland code to help you find the careers that best match your interests and abilities. To complete the paper version of this test, please see a Counselor who will administer the test and discuss your results with you. You may also visit the Self Directed Search website and purchase the online test. A list of occupations (and college majors) with codes identical and/or similar to your own will be displayed on your screen. You can then explore the careers you are most likely to find satisfying based upon your interests and skills.
RESOURCES AVAILABLE TO REGISTERED TCC STUDENTS
- Library Resources - The Learning Resource Center (LRC) at TCC provides access to print and online materials for use in the Career Development Process.
RESOURCES AND ASSESSMENT TOOLS AVAILABLE TO GENERAL PUBLIC
- Clarify Your Career Values - As you begin the self assessment process, it is important to consider first and foremost what is important to you in a career. As you evaluate career options later, use this list to determine which option most closely matches your career values.
- Educational Opportunity Center - The purpose of the Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) is to provide financial aid information, academic counseling, and career counseling to the citizens of the Hampton Roads area.
- KnowHowVirginia.org - Virginia's Career Resource - Select a career field to explore and you will be given the opportunity to take an assessment survey to see what careers might suit you best.
- TCC Program & Degrees ~ Alphabetical Index - This section contains detailed information about TCC's Career and Technical Programs and Transfer Programs and the career opportunities associated with these programs.
- VA View - Virginia's resource for career assessment, exploration and job searching. Although the career assessment tests are designed for high school students, the information can be helpful to any job seeker desiring assistance with career assessments or exploration.
After determining what careers are most appropriate for you based on the prior assessments, it is important to select a career or careers to research. To research and obtain more detailed information about suggested career options - including education and degree requirements, labor market projections, salary trends, advancement potential and the daily activities involved in each career choice, visit Step II - CAREER EXPLORATION . Evaluate each career to be sure it matches with your Career Values.
CAREEER DEVELOPMENT - Home Page
CAREER ACTION PLAN - step by step instructions in the career development process
STEP II: CAREER EXPLORATION - research career options
STEP III: EMPLOYMENT PREPARATION - develop your marketing skills and materials
STEP IV: JOB SEARCHING - begin the job search process
For assistance with any step in the career development process, please visit a counselor in the Career and Transfer Resource Centers.