The DSST Program (formerly DANTES Program) is a credit by examination testing service provided by Thomson Prometric. Colleges and universities use DSST exams to measure a student’s knowledge in a particular subject area and may choose to award college credit based on the achievement of a passing examination score. Each institution determines its passing scores for each DSST it offers. All tests are approved by the American Council on Education.
DSST’s are untimed; however, they are designed to be completed within 90 minutes. The Principles of Public Speaking examination requires a minimum score of 47 on the multiple choice test in additional to a passing grade on the speech. The Technical Writing and Ethics in America examination consists of an optional essay portion. Check with your college or university to determine if the essay is required. Thomson Prometric, will not score the essay section. It will be forwarded to colleges and universities for their use in determining the award of credit.
* * * * * * * *
1. DSST’s are administered by appointment only. Call the Test Center (757-822-1310) on the Norfolk Campus or (757-822-2194) on the Portsmouth Campus to schedule your appointment.
2. Thomson Prometric, testing fee for each DSST test is $70.00 payable with a certified check, money order or credit card only. Certified checks and /or money orders are to be made payable to The DSST Program.
3. DSST policies vary from college to college. Before you take one or more DSST exams, find out which exams your college recognizes as well as its requirements for earning credit. Make certain that you know the test center code of the receiving institution. The website address for the DSST Directory of Colleges is www.getcollegecredit.com
4. Tidewater Community College’s administrative fee for each is $25.00. This fee is nonrefundable. Proof of payment must be provided before you can take any of these tests. Payment must be made at the Portsmouth Campus’ business office.
5. If you have a documented learning or a physical disability that would prevent you from taking a DSST examination, you may request special accommodations and arrangements. For specific details, call the Assessment Lab at (757) 822-1310. (Note: In order to allow sufficient time for the Thomson Prometric, and Tidewater Community College to review your request and arrange appropriate accommodations, you must submit requested documentation at least 30 days prior to your desired test date.)
6. Prior to testing, all students must present a form of picture identification such as a driver’s license, passport, or picture student identification card. Students will not be able to test without appropriate identification. Only test takers are permitted in the testing room.
7. All tests are administered online. Books, dictionaries, programmable calculators, cell phones, pagers, and other communications equipment are not permitted in the testing room.
8. Score reports will be mailed approximately four weeks after the examinations have been scanned and scored. The reports are sent directly to the student and the institution of their choice.
9. To order a transcript, send a $20 certified check or money order made payable to The DSST Program and mail the request to:
The DSST (DANTES Subject Standardized Tests) Program
2000 Lenox Dr.
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
Be sure to include your name, address, social security number, titles of the exams you took, when the test was administered and where you took the exam (name of the institution and code number) as well as which school to send the transcript.
10. You may not repeat the same DSST title(s) within a six-month period. Any attempt to re-test on the same test title in less than the specialized time will generate an “invalid” score report. This will cause you to wait an additional 180 calendar days to re-test.
11. Tidewater Community College’s Central Records office evaluates DSST test results. To receive credit for any DSST exam, you must do the following:
Tidewater Community College
Central Records/Office of the College Registrar
Post Office Box 9000
Norfolk, VA 23509-9000
DSST Credit Granting Policy