TCC Home Page             


Welcome CenterAcademicsWorkforce SolutionsNew StudentsCurrent StudentsFaculty and StaffDonorsCommunity
rollover the links above to activate the sub menus
Bb, Email, SIS
myTCC myTCC Library
Constituent Groups

Professional Development Funding Plan

New as of April 1, 2015

  • The TCC Travel Workbook spreadsheet (contains the Budget and PreApproval Form and Travel Reimbursement Claim Form) is no longer to be used.  The one exception is for travel authorizations submitted prior to April 1, 2015 using the Travel Workbook; in this case, use the existing Travel Workbook to submit the associated reimbursement claim.


  • Once an award of professional development funds has been received, submit your approval package to your Dean or Supervisor using the Online Travel System ( OR a Purchase Order Request for membership dues in approved professional associations OR the HR-78 and HR-79 Forms for tuition.


VCCS Professional Development: Grant Opportunities

    • CPDF Application (FY 2015 - 2016; revised August 31, 2105.  Only this version of the form will be be accepted from this date, September 1, 2015, forward.)

Please do not skim the information below.  Read it. That will eliminate most reasons for a delay or denial of an application for funds.


Professional Development Funding Plan 2015 - 2016 Academic Year
for Full Time and Adjunct Teaching and Professional Faculty
Personal Professional Development Fund (PPDF) $225
Full-time Faculty

Every full-time faculty member (teaching faculty, as well as counselors and librarians) has access to a Personal Professional Development Fund of $225. You do not need the approval of the Faculty Senate’s Professional Development Committee to use these funds, but you must report the use of the PPDF funds whenever you request funding from the College Professional Development Fund.   You must exhaust your PPDF entitlement either before or in conjunction with requesting funding from the College Professional Development Fund.  If your planned activity costs more than what you have left in your PPDF, you may use your remaining PPDF as a partial payment and apply to the CPDF for the remainder.  Adjunct faculty do not have a PPDF entitlement.

You may not give your PPDF entitlement to anyone else.  If you do not use it, it will not be carried over to the next year.

The AIS codes for this Personal Professional Development Fund (Individual Equity) are:

  • 10300-145003-00 (District)
  • 10300-145003-01 (Portsmouth)
  • 10300-145003-02 (Virginia Beach)
  • 10300- 145003-03 (Chesapeake)
  • 10300-145003-04 (Norfolk)


College Professional Development Fund (CPDF) $1,675
Full-time Faculty



Once a full-time faculty member (including counselors and librarians) has exhausted his or her Personal Professional Development Fund, he or she may apply for additional funding from the College Professional Development Fund.   Adjunct faculty do not have access to the PPDF but may apply to the CPDF.  The CPDF has a total of $225,000 for the 2014-2015 academic year.  CPDF is not available to administrative faculty, administrators or non-teaching staff.  Adjunct faculty must teach at TCC during the semester in which the professional development activity occurs and for which funded is requested.  The maximum amount that will be awarded per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30) is $1,675 per full-time faculty and $800 per adjunct faculty.  You can request money for more than one activity throughout the year but the grand total cannot exceed the maximum entitlement.

The AIS codes to use for CPDF are:

  • 10300- 145016-00 (District)
  • 10300-145016-01 (Portsmouth)
  • 10300-145016-02 (Virginia Beach)
  • 10300- 145016-03 (Chesapeake)
  • 10300-145016-04 (Norfolk)


Note:  Account codes will be added following the AIS codes indicated above.  In your Online Travel Request, you will enter  61224 for Workshop and Conference Reservation Fees,  61227 for airfare, taxi, tolls, lodging, meals,  and personal vehicular mileage.  The Account code for tuition is  61225 and the Account code for organizational membership is 61221.


Both the PPDF and the CPDF may be used for the following purposes:

a)   Conferences and workshops

You must submit an Online Travel Request to your Academic Division Dean or Supervisor.  Registration and/or airfare may be pre-paid if requested or you may be reimbursed.  All other expenses (automobile travel, hotel, meals, etc.) must be reimbursed following the conference or workshop.  Travel by more than three employees to the same conference (other than VCCS sponsored activities) requires permission from the VP for Finance.


b)  Membership in discipline specific professional associations: 

These associations must be on the approved listing maintained by the faculty senate Professional Development Committee.  This list is available online at

You may submit recommendations for additions to the committee chair.  A recommendation to add a professional association to the listing needs to contain justification (such as conferences, meetings, workshops, journals, dues, etc.) as to how membership in the association will enhance the professional development of faculty who are members and, thus, benefit the college.  The committee will review the information that is submitted as well as the organization's web site for which you must provide the web address (URL).  Once an association has been added to the listing, you can request to use funds for membership as appropriate to your discipline for teaching or professional faculty.

To pay for a professional membership, use the Purchase Order Request form.

1.  Submit the Purchase Order Request form and the application for membership to your Academic Dean/Supervisor who will forward it to the campus Business Manager and then to the Provost.

2.  You may pay for membership with either the PPDF or CPDF or a combination of the two.  If your membership exceeds funding still available to you, you must include a check made out to the association for the difference.

3.  The college must pay the membership.  Reimbursement is not allowed.

4 - Multiple memberships at the same time:  If you use college funds to pay for membership dues for more than one professional association at the same time, please submit one BPA Form per professional organization.  Each professional association is a “vendor” to the TCC Accounts Payable office.  If multiple vendors are on one BPA Form, that means that the one BPA Form has to be reviewed and finalized by multiple people in Accounts Payable before payment can be made to any of the professional associations.   This can slow payment to the professional associations.


c)  Tuition

You must pay for tuition yourself and then get reimbursed after turning in your passing grades.  Campus Business Managers have the tuition reimbursement package.

1)  Full-time faculty must first exhaust the money available to them through the Provost’s Tuition Reimbursement Fund (TRF) before applying to the CPDF.  The TRF is accessed by writing the amount requested on the “Tuition Reimbursement” line in the Funding section of the HR-78 Form.  The TRF pays a maximum of $500 per person per year, on a first-come first-served basis. This fund must be used before using any other fund if you are requesting tuition.  If your tuition exceeds $500, you may use PPDF for the additional funding needed.  If the combination of these two funds is still not sufficient, then you may apply to the CPDF.  You may also apply to the CPDF for a second or third course, until you reach the maximum annual amount of $1,675

2)  Adjunct faculty do not have access to the Tuition Reimbursement Fund or to the PPDF, but may receive tuition funding from the CPDF.


3)  Tuition assistance requires that an HR-78 form be filled out for each course (prior to taking it), and that an HR-79 be filled out each academic year.  Please fill out one CPDF application for each graduate course.


4)  If you are requesting funding for a TCC course, the college will pay the tuition in advance, if requested.  All other tuition must be reimbursed after you complete the course.


    As a faculty member, you will only pay tuition and technology fee.  Fall 2015 tuition + technology fee = $144.50 per credit hour.  (Full in-state tuition + fees = $172.35 per credit hour.)


*  Whenever you submit a Online Travel Request, Purchase Order request or an HR-78 Form which includes CPDF money, you must attach an award email from the professional development committee chair.  To receive an award email, you must send the CPDF Application via email or intercampus mail to the committee chair, Joe Joyner ( at the Norfolk campus.  Do not send the Purchase Order Request, the HR-78 form or other documents to the committee chair.

*  You must have enrolled in the Electronic Data Interchange Program to receive a reimbursement. 

*   The fiscal year ends on June 30.  For trips that are late in June or early in July, contact the committee chair for guidance.


Workshop Grant:  The faculty senate Professional Development Committee annually calls for proposals for Workshop Grants.  A proposed workshop should be directed to enhancing instruction, skill or leadership development and must be developed and submitted by full-time teaching or professional faculty.  All proposed workshops should involve both full-time and adjunct faculty as participants.   Workshops may be discipline specific or address skill development across the disciplines.  The maximum grant amount is $3,000 per workshop but exceptions may be made for larger workshops.  Refer to the Workshop Grant Criteria document for more details.


Application Process

To apply for CPDF funding, please send a completed CPDF application to the committee chair (Joe Joyner,, Norfolk campus) as an email attachment (preferred) or a printed application via inter-campus mail (alternative).  Please use only your TCC faculty email (Outlook) as this is the account to which all responses will be made.

Please fill out the form completely.

  • Avoid the use of acronyms without explaining what they mean.  An unexplained acronym results in a follow-up email asking for the explanation.

  • Written Justification (How will this benefit the college?) must be completed by all applicants.

  • Do not send documents other than the CPDF Application to the committee chair.

  • Once your application has been approved (typically within one week), an award email will be sent to you.

Attach the award email to your other documentation (Online Travel Request, Purchase Order Request form, or HR-78/79 forms for tuition) and submit your package to your Academic Dean or Supervisor for approval.  

It is your responsibility to plan well enough in advance so that you may receive approval from the committee chair in time to submit your Online Travel Request, Purchase Order Request form, or HR-78/79 forms at least two weeks prior to your trip (six weeks for international travel), or at least two weeks prior to the start of the semester if you are applying for tuition.  To ensure funding, please submit your application as soon as possible



a)  To receive reimbursement for travel, submit your reimbursement request via the Online Travel System to your Academic Dean or Supervisor.  This must be done within 30 days of your return.

b)  To receive reimbursement for tuition, submit the following within 30 days after the completion of the course:

1) Signed HR-78 Form that was returned to you after the HR office and the President or her designee signed it.

2)  Signed HR-79 From; this should be signed by the employee, Dean or Supervisor, and Provost.  A new HR 79 is completed each academic year.

3)  CPDF award email or authorization letter for all funds other than PPDF or Tuition Reimbursement

4)  Completed Accounting Voucher (See Business Manager for details)

5)  Completed State Disbursements Accounting Grid (See Business Manager for details)

6)  Copy of grade report

7)  Copy of receipt to prove payment of tuition.


Examples:  Full-Time Faculty at the Portsmouth Campus

1.  Your first expense of the academic/fiscal year is a professional association membership for $110.  Use your PPDF and submit a Purchase Order Request form to your Academic Dean with the code 10300-145003-01-61221, along with your completed association membership form.  The college will pay the membership dues.  Dues will not be reimbursed professional association memberships.

2.  Your second expense is a conference that costs $950 ($300 for registration, $220 for airfare, $150 for meals, $280 for hotel).  Because you have $115 remaining in your PPDF, apply for $835 in CPDF.  After receiving your CPDF award email, submit your Online Travel Request indicating $115 in PPDF and $835 in CPDF.  You may request that the college pay in advance for registration and airfare, but you will need to be reimbursed for hotel expenses and food and lodging expenses.  You may elect to pay for registration and airfare yourself and get reimbursed after you return.  Your Online Travel Request might be coded as follows:

10300-145003-01-61224    $115    (PPDF for registration)

10300-145016-01-61224    $185    (CPDF for remainder of registration)

10300-145016-01-61227    $650    (CPDF for airfare, lodging and meals)

3.  Your third expense is college tuition at $1,600.  You will apply to the CPDF for $840 which is all that you have left of your CPDF entitlement of $1,675.  After receiving your CPDF award email, submit your HR-78 and HR-79 Forms indicating $840 from CPDF and $500 from the Tuition Reimbursement Fund.  You will pay the entire tuition of $1,600 yourself and you will have $1,340 reimbursed after you submit your passing grade report.

4.  If you have any other professional development costs for the remainder of the academic/fiscal year, you must pay for them yourself.


Applications cannot be approved if they are submitted after the course, conference, workshop, etc. has begun.  All approvals, including the Online Travel Request, Purchase Order Request, or the HR-78/HR-79 forms, must be submitted to your Academic Dean or Supervisor AND approved by your Academic Dean or Supervisor, campus Business Manager and Provost BEFORE the professional development activity has begun.  There are NO EXCEPTIONS.  You must also file reimbursement paperwork within 30 of the completion of the activity.


How to get the Applications and Information

Go to to get additional information and all of the forms that you need to apply for professional development funding.  Except for the CPDF Application, all other forms on the faculty professional development web site are created by other TCC offices and are provided on this web site as a courtesy and for convenience.  The latest version of each of the other forms can always be found at Inside TCC.  Access to Inside TCC requires a TCC network log in with a user name and password; they are the same as your network login on campus.  You may also contact the committee chair (Joe Joyner, for assistance.


Select the form links below or go to INSIDE TCC for the HR-78/HR-79 forms if needed.  From the TCC web site, select Faculty & Staff, then Inside TCC, then use your computer login and password.  Under the heading Forms, click Human Resources and then select HR-78 and HR-79.
If you cannot access the forms on InsideTCC, contact the, 822-2457.

College Professional Development Fund Application

HR-78 Professional Development Request (InsideTCC)

Fiillable pdf
HR-79 Professional Development Plan (InsideTCC)
Fillable pdf
Online Travel System:  
Purchase Order Request for tuition reimbursement, professional development activity with no travel cost, and membership (InsideTCC) - New as of April 1, 2015
You can also contact Joe Joyner at 757-822-1580 for informatiuon and assistance.